1800 408 040\
Now certified in COVID-19 Infection Control Training
All Mould is Bad Mould

BLACK mould and damp in the home can cause a number of serious health issues, from respiratory problems to damaging the immune system, so it’s important to remove it properly, and as soon as possible. Whether it’s damp or mould, the first thing to do is find the cause. Usually, it’s caused by excess moisture in buildings, which can result from leaking pipes, rising damp in basements or ground floors, or rain seeping in because of damage to the roof or around window frames.

In a newly-built home, damp can occur if the water used when the house was built is still drying out. A common place for mould to grow in your home is the bathroom.

The causes of this are lingering moisture caused by lack of ventilation, leaky toilets, sinks and plumping pipes and damp cellulose materials such as rugs, paper products, wood, wallpaper, grout, drywall and fabric.

So how can mould affect your health? According to the UK’s National Health Service, damp and mould in the home can cause respiratory problems, infections, allergies and asthma, and it can also affect the immune system.

Inhaling or touching mould spores can cause three types of symptoms: Allergic reactions are the most common. When mould spores are inhaled, the immune system creates an allergic reaction due to the fact it’s trying to defend against foreign/unknown particles entering the body. Mould infections can occur when mould spores are breathed into the body, allowing mould to grow inside them. In most cases, the infection can be treated with medication. The symptoms of a mould infection include skin irritation, excess mucus, athlete’s foot and nail infections. There are a few dozen moulds that are particularly toxic to humans, and these moulds release highly toxic chemicals called mycotoxins.